Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in parts of Kimberley and North Interior districts.

Issued at 10:55 am Sunday, 21 January 2024.

Weather Situation: A tropical low located over the west of the Northern Territory is forecast to shift towards the west through Sunday, and a little more rapidly to the west-southwest from Monday. At this stage, the tropical low is expected to move across the border into the Kimberley early Monday morning, and reach the Pilbara on Tuesday and Wednesday.

HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is forecast to develop over the eastern Kimberley and northern parts of the North Interior districts this afternoon and evening, spreading further west during Monday morning. Scattered six-hourly rainfall totals between 90 to 150 mm are likely.

Locally INTENSE RAINFALL which may lead to DANGEROUS AND LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODING is also possible with thunderstorms during this period with six-hourly rainfall totals between 150 to 200 mm. A separate Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued if very dangerous thunderstorms with INTENSE RAINFALL are detected.

A Flood Watch is current, and will soon be updated to include East Kimberley, Fitzroy River, Sturt Creek District, Sandy Desert and De Grey River.

Locations which may be affected include Halls Creek, Balgo, Lake Argyle and Warmun.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.